Thursday 26 June 2014

Book Review: Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb

Assassin’s Quest (Farseer Trilogy #3) by Robin Hobb
Genre: Epic Fantasy
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Date Published: March 1997
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Blurb (from Goodreads): King Shrewd is dead at the hands of his son Regal. As is Fitz—or so his enemies and friends believe. But with the help of his allies and his beast magic, he emerges from the grave, deeply scarred in body and soul. The kingdom also teeters toward ruin: Regal has plundered and abandoned the capital, while the rightful heir, Prince Verity, is lost to his mad quest—perhaps to death. Only Verity’s return—or the heir his princess carries—can save the Six Duchies.

But Fitz will not wait. Driven by loss and bitter memories, he undertakes a quest: to kill Regal. The journey casts him into deep waters, as he discovers wild currents of magic within him—currents that will either drown him or make him something more than he was.


Why I read it: 

I read Assassin’s Apprentice, and thought it was pretty good. Royal Assassin was better, easily a 5 star read. Of course I was going to finish this trilogy off!


My thoughts:

I’m not quite sure how to write this review. Saying this was a 5 star read doesn’t do this book justice. Because while I have read some great 5 star reads this year, I didn’t enjoy them half as much as this one. If Robin Hobb consistently finishes trilogies like this (and I plan to find out very, very soon!) then she will be joining the ranks of Jacqueline Carey and Guy Gavriel Kay as my all-time favourite authors.

And before I gush about it some more, a warning: there's a few MAJOR spoilers for book two below. Read on at your own risk!




The end of Royal Assassin, book two in the Farseer Trilogy, saw Fitz “die” at Regal’s hand. He only survived because he used the Wit to escape into the mind of his wolf. However, this endurance came at a cost. The wider world (including most of his friends and allies) consider him long gone. And on a more personal level, Fitz’s time spent living as a wolf stripped him of his humanity; it’s unclear if he will ever fully regain his human side. In short, Fitz is a broken and changed man: barred from his home at Buckkeep and with little left to live for (or lose!). Which sucks for him (and I felt for Fitz, I really did!) but is a very dramatic place to begin a novel.

And it only gets better from there.

The plot builds slowly. It begins with Fitz’s convalescence under Burrich’s hand. Later, it follows Fitz inland as he quests for revenge. Regal stole his life and Verity’s kingdom; Fitz intends to make him pay. The result is a series of increasingly epic (mis)adventures through Farrow and the Mountain Kingdoms. There are even dragons!

There’s also a LOT more magic in this book, which made me very happy. In my review of Assassin’s Apprentice, I said the Wit bored me because it seemed like generic animal magic. But I take it all back! The Wit is awesome. It’s integral to the plot, and to Fitz, with strengths and flaws that are incredibly interesting. Fitz even meets others of the “Old Blood” during his journey, and learns just how little he knows about Witted folk and what they can do. It was great to finally get a glimpse of how the Wit was used outside the confined world of Buckkeep proper.

We also see more of the Skill and its capabilities. Fitz continues to show promise with the Skill, and his limited training continues to trip him up. Regal’s coterie, led by Will, is an increasing threat. However, the Skill-related plotlines are advanced mainly by a couple of new characters and various strange situations that Fitz encounters. It’s brilliant - I love this kind of fiddly, vicious mind magic. It’s so much fun to read about!!

There’s also some great character stuff in this book. Fitz is the core of the novel (and my heart broke for him. Repeatedly. Poor guy.) but the secondary characters remain brilliantly written. I have a soft spot in my heart for Verity, but I also enjoyed the two new female characters introduced. Kettle the crotchety old woman was excellently written, and Starling the bard had surprising depth.

We also learn a lot more about the Fool. He played a fairly minor role in the first two books, but really comes into his own here. Suddenly I understand why everyone raves about how awesome Fitz & the Fool are together! They become much closer in this novel, and I really appreciated the glimpse of love (and possibly romance?) shared between them. I also loved the (very unexpected!) discussion on gender the Fool comes out with in this book. I’ve always imagined him as your average straight and cis-male, because nobody has ever commented otherwise. But knowing his personal views of gender, and the fact that he was androgynous-enough that another character mistook him as a female, means I have to revise my internal image of who this person is. And that makes me very happy! I like it when books screw with your expectations, and obviously I’m a fan of queer-ish content in my fantasy.

The only thing I didn’t like was Fitz’s relationship with Molly, his lover and childhood friend from the previous two books. Her appearances in this book are brief. Fitz dreams of her occasionally, and remains deeply in love. But their relationship is deeply unequal. Molly doesn’t even know that Fitz is alive, and mainly exists to be threatened by Regal and cause Fitz some noble man-pain. However, I liked the way her plotline was concluded, so this criticism is given half-heartedly at best.

Also? You can look forward to an ending that is both satisfyingly epic and more than a bit melancholy. (I even cried a little.)

Seriously, I can’t recommend this book enough! Some of the best epic fantasy I’ve read in years. 

14 comments:

  1. Sometimes there is something to be said about slow building plots - they can totally work. I really need to read some Robin Hobb *argh* where is all my time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, being delightfully siphoned away in your massive tbr pile?

      This series was awesome though. Totally disappointed in myself for not starting in sooner!

      Delete
  2. I really liked the first book, which I read right before I started blogging. THen time slipped away and the second one has never made the damn list again. Someday I would like to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestingly, I enjoyed this book but really struggled with the second. This was a few years ago and I still have yet to tackle the third and finish up the trilogy because of that. I jumped to her Rain Wilds Chronicle instead though, and enjoyed that one thoroughly which was a bit surprising, considering she gets much less acclaim for that series. Just goes to show I think I'm all over the place with my thoughts on writing.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I saw your review of the second on Goodreads. And I agreed with your assessment of Regal, but otherwise seemed to like it a lot more than you did...! I think it's worth finishing the trilogy off, but I know you have a zillion other books to read too.

      Also curious about her Rain Wilds Chronicles - glad to hear you liked them! I think I'm going to try to finish the Tawny Man trilogy first because I'd like to read Fool's Assassin later this year, but will definitely get to them eventually.

      Delete
  4. Oo, note taken :D. I got a copy of Fool's Assassin, but haven't read the first trilogy, so I'll make sure to try to do that given how much you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do! Hopefully you'll love it :-D

    I really want to read Fool's Assassin but bet it's full of spoilers - have been diligently avoiding the blurb and any interviews that may give something away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series :D I only have the translation though, I'd love the real stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what language did you read it in?

      I'm fairly fluent in French, totally agree that it's better to read things in the original language if you can :)

      Delete
  7. I have a copy of Shaman's Crossing sitting on my shelf - that one's going to be my first Robin Hobb. Reviews like this one make me so excited to dive in! Who can resist high fantasy novels written by a lady? Happy to hear that you've had such a great experience with her work so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha as am I! Will be interested to see what you make of Shaman's Crossing.

      Actually my first reaction to your comment was to bemoan the lack of women writing high fantasy, but now I think about it there are definitely a lot of female authors out there... they're just slightly under the radar. Really got to read them!

      Delete
  8. Great review, Miriam! I absolutely loved both The Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy. I really can't say which is better--they're both fantastic and a really wonderful six-book read. I can't wait to get my hands on Fools Assassin! It sounds like you received an ARC. Or is it available somewhere already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad to meet a fellow fan! :D

      I don't have Fool's Assassin at the moment though - didn't request an ARC because I want to read the Tawny Man Trilogy first. I figure by the time I finish it, I'll just be able to buy her new one. Think it comes out August 12th?

      Delete